There are multiple ways that a creative advertising idea gets started, especially for the small business owner.
Instead of saying to yourself "I'm not creative", try tapping into what creativity you do have, no matter how small.
Doing something is better than doing nothing. And it gives you a starting point to tell others who want to help you along.
I hope you'll enjoy some of my personal suggestions to help get your creative mind flowing…
• Try to settle on an open-ended goal… "I need to come up with a bunch of logo ideas."
• Do some — but not too much — research about the subject at hand.
• Daydream for a moment or two.
• Consider the above as "sketches" of the picture you are in the process of creating.
• Open your mind to different possibilities, putting aside your normal personal viewpoints and beliefs. Explore just for fun! No one will know.
• Go beyond your normal thought patterns which may tend to be more on the practical side. Ask some "what if" questions. Do it just for the fun of it!
• Learn to listen carefully to what others say so you can blend their observations and quips with your ideas. (1+1=3 or more!)
• Keep working on this until you've had time to crystallize a few different concepts or ideas. Sometimes a colleague can help by listening and summarizing.
• Give your sub-conscious mind enough time to work. Often you can think and talk about something during the day or evening. Write down some notes and then put the subject to bed. Do something else. Go to sleep for the night.
You'll wake up with a much clearer direction of where to go and what to do in your quest for creative advertising. Your notes likely have become your reminders to trigger some breakthrough executions of your ideas.
A workable creative idea should be easy to apply across all media, including your web site.
This should be enough to get you started on some methods to help find your creative advertising idea. If you want to explore this area further, please do not hesitate to Contact Us.
Back to the top of the Advertising Idea page